Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Human Spirit and Back Alleys

We walked through a different back alley tonight. So many of these hidden passages are like walking right onto the movie set of Les Miz. I've about decided that a tour of the back alleys of this city would be a hit! People have placed old tires around, filled them with dirt, painted them bright colors, and I'm certain they will fill them with flowers when spring comes. We're excited to see the transformation. Residents have cleaned up what they can of the streets and passageways, so that they're clean, though still totally dilapidated. So many little signs speak of the resilience of the human spirit and their desire for goodness and beauty. A myriad flower shops...everywhere. Lots of people can be seen, every day, carrying very long bundles of flowers all wrapped neatly in newspaper. I haven't started buying flowers yet, but I think I will.

We walked about 5 miles yesterday, out to a point where a very old lighthouse sits on a spit of land. Seals were playing in the bay and flipping and roiling the water while chasing fish. Very large chunks of ice, broken by ships passing through the channel during the winter, have washed up along the shore, frozen in place, and now provide a playground for a few brave children and their adventurous parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment