Spiritual moments pop up constantly. Surprisingly so! In the middle of normal life when we're least expecting them!! --For example, an "atheist" friend stopped before going out of our door one afternoon, raised one arm to heaven, and said a prayer. Not an LDS prayer, but a prayer nonetheless. Heartfelt. His very first. We were totally shocked and thrilled.-- We know God is guiding our lives here, and we're sure He must have assigned a host of guardian angels to watch over us.
The life of senior missionaries is not like that of the young missionaries. Actually, I think it's much more FUN. In addition to the Gospel lessons with investigators and new members, we get to "play" with the young members and investigators. Uno is BIG here. We have started hosting young people on "blind dates" at our apartment to help them get to know each other. (The sisters do the inviting, and we do the cooking and game-playing.) The Russian version of Scrabble remains particularly tough for us. Ha ha.
Sometimes, I worry that we're not doing enough. At those times, Elder Nelson very patiently insists that I think back on the past couple of days and recite to him all that we have done. When I do, I realize that we truly are "doing" a lot. And I try harder to relax and enjoy each moment.
We find it fascinating to watch events in the "outside" world and to not worry at all, but to feel totally protected and blessed. When on the Lord's errand, there is no need to fear. This is truly a wonderful work. It is directed by our Heavenly Father. We love being here. Even when family members and friends struggle through desperate times back home, and we wish we could help more, we know that we are where the Lord wants us to be right now. We have faith that He will watch over our loved ones while we are away. D&C 31 brings great comfort in moments of distress. God lives. He loves His children. This is His work.
No comments:
Post a Comment